Position: Research Manager (Full-time, one post)
Centre: The Centre for Development of Environment and Policy (CDEP), IIM Calcutta
Location: IIM Calcutta, Kolkata, India
Pay Range: Between 60,000 – 80,000 INR per month (consolidated)
Last Date for Application: 02 May, 2022*
* This position is required to be filled on urgent basis. Therefore, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and in case a suitable candidate is found, the position will be closed before 2nd May 2022. Successful applicant will be expected to join at the earliest.
Annual, fixed-term contract, renewable. At present, the project is for a duration of 1 year with the possibility of an extension of at least one more year.
Main Responsibilities and Duties:
This role is multitasking in nature and requires the person to provide administrative, outreach and research support to the Centre for Development and Environment Policy (CDEP), IIM Calcutta, India. The person in this position is responsible for
- Project Administration — Provide assistance with preparation of project-related reports, proposal presentations
- Research and Report Writing — willing to develop research manuscripts, guide subordinates and contribute to the research needs of the centre. Develop a research repository on carbon transition.
- Network Building — Coordinate with core and network partners of CDEP. Develop network of professionals working in the area of carbon transition
- Training Programmes — Liasioning with the companies for Management Development Programmes (MDPs)
- Workshops, Conferences and Public Lectures — Organise public lectures, workshops or conferences for the centre
- Supervision and Guidance — Coordinate with supervisors, peers or subordinates in conceptualising and executing research projects
- Funding Opportunities — Generate leads for research grants or funding opportunities and support the bidding process
- Publication Opportunities — Communicate with publishing groups for publication of edited book volume, reports or editorial articles.
- Public Outreach — Respond to e-mails and promote the activities of CDEP and improve its outreach
Educational qualification and work experience:
The candidate should possess at least a Master’s degree with a minimum of aggregate 60% marks at the graduation level in a relevant discipline. The candidate should have at least 3 years of full-time work experience at administrative or managerial position. Prior administrative level experience in a research project or academic institute is desirable.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- English Language (oral expression and written comprehension) — Excellent command over oral and written English, ability to communicate effectively as per the needs of the target audience.
- Administrative — Knowledge of administrative and office procedures, project management skills, designing forms/template, training/research project management, E-mail communication, accounting practices, managing files and records.
- Software — Microsoft Excel
- Dependability and Initiative — The job requires accountability and the person should be proactive in taking necessary initiatives with minimal or no supervision
- Attention to Detail and Cooperation — The job requires the person to be meticulous and thorough in executing the tasks and display pleasant and cooperative attitude.
- Independence — Job requires developing one's own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
Interested applicants can submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before 2nd May 2022 with a subject line ‘Application for Research Manager – CDEP’.
- Detailed CV with name and contact details of three referees
- Cover letter expressing the interest and suitability
- Any writing sample (published/unpublished paper, reports) (if any)
- Proof of work-experience (if any)
About IIM Calcutta and CDEP
The Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC) was established as the first national institute for Post-Graduate studies and Research in Management by the Government of India in November 1961 in collaboration with Alfred P. Sloan School of Management (MIT), the Government of West Bengal, The Ford Foundation and Indian industry. Over the years, IIMC has grown into a mature institution with global reputation, imparting high quality management education. It has been playing a pioneering role in professionalising Indian management through its Post Graduate and Doctoral level programs, Executive Training Programs, Research and Consulting Activities.
IIM Calcutta's Centre for Development and Environment Policy (CDEP) was established in 1998 as an interdisciplinary platform. Supported by a core endowment provided by the then Indian Planning Commission, CDEP addresses crucial interdisciplinary issues associated with the complex relationship between economic activities and the natural environment. It undertakes research, teaching, and training activities on the important dimensions of the relationship between environment and development at the organizational, regional, national, and global levels. It has developed a close working relationship with policymakers in Indian industry, government, NGOs, and international organisations related to sustainable development.