Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI) is one of the centers of excellence established by Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Calcutta to achieve greater understanding of an effective mechanism for promotion of professional management practices in Indian organizations, as well as to stimulate the development of these organizations for societal benefit. CEI’s vision is to be acknowledged as a program of international renown, where students, faculty, alumni, industry and policy makers collaborate, learn and innovate. The team comprises of faculty from different functional areas and disciplines. Currently, it is headed by Prof Balram Avittathur, who is assisted by a core group of student representatives.
Some of the major activities undertaken by CEI are listed below:
CEI is currently active in the following areas:-
- Entrepreneurial Research and Case Development: CEI aims to collaborate with faculty and fellows who have thesis topics on subjects related to entrepreneurship and innovation. The centre has also collaborated with industry to develop research cases for further study. Business models from diverse firms such as Air Deccan, Sula Vineyards and Ferns’n’Petals were covered in the cases.
- Venture Creation: CEI provides support to creation of new ventures by providing consulting services in evaluating
opportunities, identifying resourse requirements, assisting in resource acquistions and managing new ventures.
- Events: As part of a new initiative, CEI has started organizing events that invite eminent speakers to share their
experiences and insights to help young entrepreneurs make a smooth transition from the idea to implementation. An Annual Entrepreneurship Summit is held in January every year at the IIM Calcutta campus.
- Young FICCI Ladies Organization (YFLO):
CEI conducts free one on one management consulting sessions for women entrepreneurs of YFLO. IIM Calcutta students provide implementable solutions faced by these entrepreneurs in their ventures through problem analysis, research and brain-storming.
- Al-Gore Sustainable Technology Venture Competition Mentorship:
The 2011 Al Gore Sustainable Technology Venture Competition had as one of its collaborators, CEI from IIM Calcutta. CEI was responsible for providing expert initial stage advice and mentoring for the competing teams. The Al Gore Sustainable Technology Venture Competition is Asia’s first and most prestigious sustainable venture competition. This was a first time ever the competition as collaborated with any b-school.