INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT CALCUTTA
Admission Procedure for Overseas Candidates
MBA Programme (Batch 2022-24)
The MBA Programme is a two-year full-time post-graduate degree course.
The MBA Programme has a two-tier structure: it consists of a core curriculum (compulsory credit courses and compulsory non-credit courses), a summer internship (compulsory industry training between first and second year) and elective courses (optional courses in the second year). The first year is committed to developing business fundamentals through compulsory courses spanning the areas of economics, finance, marketing, operations, systems and organizational behaviour. The second year offers a plethora of electives in different functional areas that students can choose based on their desired area of pursuit. Students aspiring to delve deeper into topics can undertake term papers under faculty supervision.
Definition of ‘Overseas Candidate’:
Interested candidates living, working or studying outside India during the period January 1, 2021 to February 15, 2022 will be considered as ‘Overseas Candidate’ for admission to MBA Prgoramme of IIM Calcutta for 2022-24 Batch.
However, an overseas candidate who is expected to be in India during CAT 2021 scheduled on November 28, 2021 will not be eligible to apply under overseas category.
Eligibility for MBA Programme:
- A candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA, awarded by any of the Universities incorporated by an Act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India. The equivalence of the foreign degree needs to be certified by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply. If selected, such candidates will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if he/she submits a certificate latest by June 30, 2022 from the Principal/Registrar of his/her University/College/Institute (issued on or before June 30, 2022) stating that the candidate has completed all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of issue of the certificate.
Candidates who graduated in the years 2020 or 2021 or are expected to graduate in 2022, for whom the university did not conduct the exams or did not award marks or CGPA but awarded only pass or pass marks or promotion in one or more years/semesters of bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification, can also apply. Such candidates will have to submit a certificate from the Principal/Registrar of his/her University/College/Institute stating that the university did not conduct the exams or did not award marks or CGPA but awarded only pass or pass marks or promotion in one or more years/semesters, as the case may be.
A candidate who has not received his/her graduation results at the time of registration will have to produce certificates and mark sheets in original along with the photocopies as soon as the respective University/Institute publishes the results, but NOT LATER THAN DECEMBER 31, 2022, failing which his/her registration as a student of IIM Calcutta will be automatically cancelled and he/she will be required to withdraw from the MBA Programme forthwith. Any candidate who submits University Mark sheets which do not clearly indicate that he/she has passed the Bachelor’s Degree course or equivalent, and also submits Provisional Certificate from an affiliated College/Institute would, in addition, be required to produce an authorization certificate from the University stating that such an affiliated College/Institute is authorized/empowered to issue such a certificate on behalf of the University.
IIM Calcutta reserves its right to verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process. Applicants should note that mere fulfilment of minimum eligibility criteria will not ensure shortlisting by IIM Calcutta at the various stages of the admissions process.
- The candidate must have a valid GMAT score with an overall score of at least 760. Additionally, the candidate must have a score of at least 45 in Verbal Reasoning Section, at least 50 in Quantitative Reasoning Section, a score of 6 in Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) section and a score of 8 in the Integrated Reasoning (IR) Section.
GMAT taken before January 15, 2021 is not valid.
How to Apply:
Overseas candidates will have to apply online through the Institute website. The link is provided below:
All related documents as mentioned below will have to be uploaded as per the instructions while filling-in the on-line application form.
Documents to be uploaded
- Scanned copy of the latest GMAT score report
- Scanned copies of all academic mark-sheets/certificates (Class 10, 12 and Bachelor’s level)
- Scanned copy of passport pages indicating official entries towards your stay outside India from the period January 1, 2021 to February 15, 2022.
The application fee for overseas candidate is USD 150 (or an equivalent amount in Indian currency).
The last date for applying to the MBA Programme for overseas candidates is January 15, 2022.
GMAT Institution Code Number
The GMAT Institution Code Number for Indian Institute of Management Calcutta is 7003.
Short-listing for Personal Interview (PI):
Candidate’s GMAT score in Quantitative Analysis and Verbal Analysis sections will be used to compute the candidate’s equivalent CAT 2021 score as per the formulae given below.
QA and VA represent the candidate’s GMAT score in the Quantitative Analysis and Verbal Analysis sections, respectively. QAmax and VAmax represent the maximum possible GMAT scores in the Quantitative Analysis and Verbal Analysis sections, respectively. Min_C represents the minimum of the sum of scores in Quantitative Analysis (QA) and Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC) sections of those scoring 100 percentiles in CAT2021.
Candidate’s equivalent CAT 2021 score = average of the total score of those securing a sum of EQQV in QA and VARC in CAT 2021
In case of no exact match for EQQV, linear interpolation will be used to determine the candidate’s equivalent CAT 2021 score.
Candidate’s equivalent CAT 2021 score is then used to determine the candidate’s Composite Score using the same criteria as used for the candidates applying through CAT 2021. The details of determining the composite score of a candidate applying through CAT 2021 are provided in the Stage II (Table 2 and 3) of Admission Policy available at:
Shortlisted candidates will be required to appear for Personal Interview (PI) tentatively scheduled between February and April, 2022. The mode of interview will be communicated once the exercise of shortlist for PI is complete. The candidate will have to bear all the expenses made, if any, for attending the interview.
The final selection of the candidate would be based on equivalent CAT 2021 score, performance in the PI, academic diversity and work experience. The details of the weights of these components are provided in Stage III (Table 4 and Table 5) of the admission policy available at:
Fees and Expenses:
The total fee for the overseas student for the last batch was USD 60,000 (Sixty thousand only) for a period of two years. The fee is payable, phase-wise, in six terms over two years. In addition to the course fees, the overseas student is required to pay one-time refundable caution deposit of INR 20,000 (Twenty thousand only). Living and other expenses during the period of his/her stay are payable in Indian rupees which are extra and will depend upon choice of food and other preferences and can vary from INR 6,000/- to 7,000/- per month.
Availability of loans from banks and financial institutions:
Financial Institutions and Commercial Banks provide loans to students at a concessional rate of interest. Details will be available at their websites. Students who desire to avail of the loan facility should contact banks directly. Although the Institute endeavors to facilitate the process of availing of loan from financial institutions and banks, it is not directly involved in this process.