IIM Calcutta organizes
Research Summer School 2023
for Faculty and Doctoral Students of Finance & Accounting
April 30 – May 9, 2023
The Financial Research and Trading Laboratory (FRTL) of IIM Calcutta will organize the 8th Research Summer School on Empirical Finance and Accounting Research. This eleven-day program will have two components:
- 10-day online/offline sessions during April 30 – May 9, 2023; and
- 1-day online presentation on June 10, 2023.
During these 10 days, participants will get exposure to scholarly research topics and papers from prestigious journals in Accounting, Finance, and Governance fields. These papers are carefully chosen by faculty experts and contain the following two features:
- talk about interesting research problems and focus on strong methodology; and
- replicable empirical findings.
A team of eminent faculty will guide participants to walk through scholarly papers and understand the art of writing high-quality scholarly articles and, in the process, learn appropriate research methods.
The tutorials on Econometrics are an integral part of the summer school to help participants learn relevant research methods and techniques commonly used in research in Accounting, Finance, and Governance.
Each participant will have the following takeaways:
- Understand how to position a theme and identify valid research questions
- Learn several methodological issues and research topics
- Empirically test hypotheses
- Learn the art of writing and publishing a paper
Structure of Research Summer School
The summer school will comprise of five segments:
- Applied Econometrics relevant to Accounting, Finance, & Governance research
- Art of Literature Review, Writing, & Publishing Papers
- Focus Areas
- Finance (Corporate Finance, Market Microstructure, and Asset Pricing)
- Accounting (Financial Reporting, Earnings Management, and Tax Research)
- Corporate Governance (CEO Compensation, Business Groups, and Auditing)
- Project Work
- Project Presentation on Zoom
- Paper Writing & Submission
- Each participant will pursue a project in one of the three focus areas
- Each participant will communicate in advance his/her choice of one/two focus areas, two research questions, and a one-page write-up on each of these research questions
- By May 4, participants will choose a research question for their team project (under the guidance of their faculty mentor).
- Teams will do the project and write a full paper
- Within 30 days of the session completion (Saturday, June 10, 2023), teams will submit an interim draft and make an online presentation (over Zoom) to receive feedback/suggestions on their work. They will incorporate the feedback/suggestions in their paper.
- Within 30 days of the presentation, teams will submit the first draft of a complete manuscript for review purposes. Best Paper Awards may be given to either one, two, or three papers.
Who Can Attend
Faculty members and doctoral students in the area of Finance, Accounting, and Corporate Governance are eligible to register for summer school. We also consider motivated candidates who are keen to pursue doctoral studies or research in the future. As there are limited seats, preference will be given in the order of applications received.
How to apply
Persons who meet the criteria are requested to apply within 31 March 2023 midnight by email to email@example.com. Applications should mention their research interest and the choice of one/two focus areas for the research project. In addition, applicants must submit a 2-page pdf version of their CV that includes their current affiliation, education, past experience, name/venue/year of the conferences they have presented scholarly papers, their scholarly publications, and pipeline (scholarly papers that are completed but yet to be published).
The application fee (non-refundable) for each candidate is Rs.4,000 + 18% GST + bank charges (if the amount is paid by Credit card/ Debit card/ Net banking). Admission will be on a rolling basis. Selected candidates will be informed within 7 days of their application. Within 7 days of their selection, they must register and pay the registration fee. Lodging & Boarding Charges must be paid within April 7, 2023.
FEES (Payable Online)
|Category||Fee till 14.02.2023 (Early Bird Fee)||Fee from 15.02.2023 to 31.03.2023 (Regular Fee)|
|Application Fee (to be paid at the time of application)||Rs. 4,000 + 18% GST||Rs. 4,000 + 18% GST|
|Registration Fee (to be paid within 7 days of selection)||Rs. 40,000 + 18% GST||Rs. 45,000 + 18% GST|
|Lodging, Boarding, & Other Charges (to be paid within April 7, 2023)||Rs. 28,000 + 18% GST||Rs. 28,000 + 18% GST|
Last date for registration is March 31, 2023.
The program is residential. Participants will be provided accommodation in a twin-sharing, AC double room on the IIM Calcutta campus, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and light refreshments during the summer school. Check-in will be on April 30, 2023, and check-out will be on May 9, 2023. In exceptional cases, a participant may be allowed to live off-campus and travel to the IIMC campus on their own, in which case they will receive a 50% rebate on Lodging, Boarding, & Other Charges.
All fees & charges are payable online. All fees & charges are non-refundable unless the Research Summer School is canceled due to unavoidable situations. In case of a pandemic/lockdown, FRTL may decide to hold the Research Summer School in the virtual mode and waive Lodging, Boarding, & Other Charges.
|14 February 2023:||Early bird registration deadline|
|15 March 2023:||Last date for application|
|31 March 2023:||Last date for registration with regular fee|
|07 April 2023:||Last date for payment of Lodging, Boarding, & Other Charges|
|30 April 2023:||Commencement of Summer School classes|
|10 June 2023:||Online Presentations|
|10 July 2023:||Submission of Complete Manuscript|
Prof. Sudhir S. Jaiswall (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Sudhir S. Jaiswall is a faculty member in the Finance and Control group at IIM Calcutta and the Co-ordinator of the FRTL. He earned his Ph.D. and M.Com. (University of Calcutta), M.S. (University of Rochester), and MBA (IIM Ahmedabad). Besides, he is professionally certified in financial analysis, management accounting, and financial risk management. He teaches a doctoral course on Empirical Accounting covering Executive Compensation, Auditing, and Tax research.
Prof. Sudhir Jaiswall has research interests in CEO Compensation, Corporate Governance, Auditing, and Tax. He has presented papers at several prestigious conferences in India and abroad. His scholarly research is published in several prestigious journals including Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance (JAAF, ABDC A-category) and Journal of Contemporary Accounting & Economics (ABDC A-category). He also has several scholarly research papers in the pipeline. He has been a reviewer for several journals including JAAF and Accounting Horizons (ABDC A-category). He has also co-organized JAAF India Symposium and IIMC-NYU Stern ‘India Research Conference’. His detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/sudhir
Prof. Samit Paul (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Samit Paul is a faculty member in the Finance and Control group at IIM Calcutta and Program Director of the FRTL’s 2022 Summer School. He has completed his Ph.D. from IIM Lucknow in the area of Finance and Accounting. Besides, he is professionally certified in management accounting. He teaches a doctoral course on Research Methods in Finance and Accounting.
Prof. Paul’s primary research interests are in market risk management, volatility modelling and portfolio management. He has presented papers at several prestigious conferences in India and abroad. He has published over a dozen scholarly research papers in prestigious journals including Economics Letters (ABDC A-category), Journal of Economic Surveys (ABDC A-category), International Journal of Forecasting (ABDC A-category), and International Review of Financial Analysis (ABDC A-category). He also has several scholarly research papers in the pipeline. His detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/samit
Prof. Sudarshan Kumar (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Sudarshan Kumar is a faculty member in the Finance and Control group at IIM Calcutta and Program Director of the FRTL’s 2022 Summer School. He is B.Tech. (Hons.) in Civil Engineering from IIT Kharagpur, and PhD in Finance from IIM Ahmedabad.
He primarily works in the area of quantitative finance and fixed income and has published in many prestigious journals including European Journal of Finance, Journal of Complex networks, and journal of computational social science. He also has several scholarly research papers in the pipeline. His detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/sudarshank
Prof. Manju Jaiswall (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Manju Jaiswall is a faculty member in the Finance and Accounting area at IIM Calcutta. She has done her M.Phil. in Commerce (Gold medalist) from Calcutta University and a doctorate in management from the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.
Her research interests are in the areas of Corporate Governance, Financial Reporting, Earnings Management, and Mergers and Acquisitions. She teaches courses in corporate financial reporting, cost management and financial statement analysis. Her detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/manju
Prof. Arnab Bhattacharya (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Arnab Bhattacharya is a faculty member in the Finance and Control Group at IIM Calcutta and was the Program Director of the FRTL’s 2021 Summer School. He is B.Tech. (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur, MBA from IIM Ahmedabad, and PhD in Finance and Control from IIM Calcutta. He teaches doctoral courses on Corporate Finance.
Prof. Bhattacharya’s research interests are in Corporate Finance, Market Microstructure, and Empirical Accounting. He has presented papers at several prestigious conferences in India and abroad. His scholarly research is published in several prestigious journals, including European Financial Management (ABDC A-category) and Managerial Auditing Journal (ABDC A-category). He also has several scholarly research papers in the pipeline. His detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/arnab
Prof. Saptarshi Purkayastha (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Saptarshi Purkayastha is a faculty in the area of Strategic Management at the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta. His primary research interest is in investigating the effectiveness of emerging market firms with a focus on internationalization and the role of governance in the management of these firms.
His work has been presented and published in reputed international conferences and journals such as Academy of Management Conference, Strategic Management Conference, International Journal of Management Reviews, Journal of World Business, Journal of Business Research and Asia Pacific Journal of Management. He has also conducted a number of workshops for industry professionals affiliated to companies such as NHPC, ONGC, Exide etc. Before joining academics, he has worked for five years for the Aditya Birla Group. His detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/saptarshi
Prof. Avijit Bansal (IIM Calcutta)
Prof. Avijit Bansal is a faculty member in the Finance & Control group at Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC). He has a B.Tech degree from Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur, and a Ph.D. in Finance & Accounting from IIM Ahmedabad. His primary research interest is in Behavioural Finance and Asset Pricing. His detailed profile is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/users/avijit
List of reputed institutions whose doctoral students and faculty have attended the Summer School
Achievements of Summer School participants
- Daitri Tiwary of Birla Institute of Management Technology attended the Research Summer School 2021, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. She received the CRISIL Doctoral Symposium Best Paper Award (first prize) at the India Finance Conference 2022.
- Geeti Mishra of IIM Indore attended the Research Summer School 2022, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. She received the CRISIL Doctoral Symposium Best Paper Award (second prize) at the India Finance Conference 2022.
- Priya Malhotra of Delhi Technological University attended the Research Summer School 2018, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. She presented a paper titled “Buoyancy in Indian Debt Markets - FII and its determinants” at the India Finance Conference 2018.
- Deepika Dhingra of Delhi Technological University attended the Research Summer School 2018, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. She presented a paper titled “Buoyancy in Indian Debt Markets - FII and its determinants ” at the India Finance Conference 2018 and a paper titled “Innovations in financial services: A quantitative review and scope for future research directions” at PAN IIT Conference in November 2018
- Sougata Ray of Amrita VIshwa Vidhyapeetham attended the Research Summer School 2018, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. He published a paper titled “Over-indebtedness and its Drivers among Microfinance Borrowers in India” in Economic and Political Weekly Vol. 54, No. 7, pp. 47 – 53, 2019.
- Sanchita Ghosh Chowdhury of Xavier Institute for Tribal Education, Jamshedpur, attended the Research Summer School 2017, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. She presented a paper titled “Determinants of firm cash holding: Evidence from the manufacturing sector in India” at the 3rd International Conference on Financial Markets and Corporate Finance, held at IIT Kanpur from 12th - 14th July, 2018. She also published a paper titled “Developing India through Automobile Industry Growth: Harbouring the Benefits of Financial Inclusionthe ”, in the Research Journal of Social and Life Sciences (ISSN 0973-3914), Vol. XXII, June 2017.
- Sandhya Bhatia, Sangita Choudhary, Amish Dugar, and Smita Mazumdar attended Summer School 2017 and jointly published a paper titled "Stock Pledging and Earnings Management: An Empirical Analysis" in an international journal, Asian review of accounting (ABDC 'B' category) in March 2019.
- Kameshwar Rao Modekurti of XIMR, Mumbai, attended the Research Summer School 2016, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta. He published the following papers after attending Summer School in 2016: “Differences in Stock Price Sensitivity to Accounting Information: Implication for Creative Accounting” in the Indian Journal of Finance (SCOPUS listed) in November 2016.
- Abhay Kumar of NMIMS University attended the first Research Summer School in 2015, organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta, and published the following papers after attending Summer School 2015: “IPO Grey Market and Its Impact on price discovery” in Indian Journal of Economics and Business February 2019 (special issue).
- Nisha Mary Thomas of IIT Delhi attended the first Summer School in 2015 organized by FRTL, IIM Calcutta and presented and published several papers after attending Summer School 2015.
Ms. Priyanka Dasgupta
The Financial Research and Trading Laboratory
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
Diamond Harbour Road, Joka, Kolkata 700104
The Financial Research and Trading Laboratory
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
Diamond Harbour Road. Joka