The Financial Research and Trading Lab (FRTL) at IIM Calcutta was set up, at a modest scale, in November 2008 to undertake cutting edge research on financial markets using real time high frequency data from financial markets of India and around the world.
In 2011, the grant from the Government of India helped the Lab grow into a world-class centre of excellence.
The Lab has significantly augmented its physical infrastructure and procured international databases and software.
We moved from the erstwhile lab setup to the new 4,000 sq-ft centre in the New Academic Block in the middle of 2014.
Mission and Vision
- To provide support to IIM Calcutta faculty and students in the area of Finance & Accounting for research on Indian and global financial markets.
- To build teaching and research capabilities of PhD students and young faculty in India
- To provide platform for showcasing research output and industry trends
- To create social impact locally as well as globally
- To contribute to the IIMC’s vision by becoming a sustainable international center of excellence in accounting & financial research & training.
The FRTL has a 78-seater class room and a 20-seater meeting cum conference room
The FRTL built a small library of books in the area of accounting and finance. These are mostly classical reference materials.
FRTL also has video-conferencing facility (2 nos.) to facilitate classes/meetings conducted by professors/ financial experts/alumni from different locations.
The Lab also has 6 NSE Cogencis terminals
The FRTL possesses five years of historical tick-by-tick data of National Stock Exchange
Conferences and Workshops
Research Summer School
- Capacity building workshop organized every year since 2015
- Specially designed for young faculty and PhD students.
- Held in April-May every year for 10-days.
India Research Conference
- The FRTL host India Research Conference jointly with Stern Business School, New York University (NYU-Stern) since 2016
- Held in the month of October every year.
- All papers presented in this conference focus on India.
Finance Lecture Series
The primary objective of the lecture series is to learn and interact with the best national and international academicians/practitioners in the area of corporate finance, accounting, corporate governance and financial markets.
In 2023, the FRTL organized talks by:
- Prof. Pankaj Kumar Jain, Fogelman College of Business, Memphis, USA
- Prof. Suresh Govindaraj, Rutgers Business School, USA
- Prof. Bidisha Chakrabarty, Saint Louis University, USA
The FRTL publishes a E-journal, a₹tha. It is a peer-reviewed, open-source, practice-oriented journal featuring articles on topics from accounting, finance, and corporate governance.
Each piece undergoes a constructive peer review and editing process to enhance the article’s value.
It carries articles of faculty, students, alumni and Industry experts. The first issue of a₹tha was released in August 2012 and it has been published continuously since then.
The e-journal is available at https://www.iimcal.ac.in/artha
The e-journal is also sent to around 20,000 addresses after release.
- Prof. Vivek Rajvanshi, Coordinator
- Prof. R. Rajesh Babu, Member
- Prof. Sudhakara Reddy, Member
- Prof. Saravana Jaikumar, Member
- Prof. Kaushik Roy, Member
- Prof. Samit Paul, Member
Call For Articles
Guide for Authors
Connect with us
The Financial Research and Trading Laboratory (FRTL)
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta,
Diamond Harbour Road, Joka,
Contact Person : Ms Priyanka (Pyne) Dasgupta
Assistant Manager, FRTL